lunes, 8 de septiembre de 2008

Teaching and student's age


Reading is a complex multi-skills process, therefore children will learn, among other things, to read critically. To do so, teachers ought to let children to answer questions openly, and discard the yes or no questions; because children do think critically. The reading material must be wide varied, so children will have the open possibility to choose what they want to read. We also have to have in mind that in real life situations we read for different purposes and with this comes the way in which we read a text. For this student need to learn or domain certain skills, but they will only be helpful in the measure they practice.

Reflection:

As we have mention before, in a second language course or class; in Mexico, is almost impossible to have the right amount of English books. But now imagine French books? Italian books? One thing is certain; reading is not being promoted in our schools, moreover critical thinking or reading is not even an option. Is sad to say, but of course it helps us to see our reality, and focus our goals towards a better educations, because we can make a difference by becoming excellent teachers.

5 comentarios:

Margaret dijo...

Hi Xochitl

Now that´s what I call a concise summary. Good job!

For me, I prefer teaching adults because I don't have a lot of patience for dealing with children and adolescents. And I think that you´re right that working with children can be exhausting - you really have to have a lot of activities and 'stuff' to keep them active and interested. However the rewards with children are great!!! And once you have taught for a while, you have a supply of activities and 'stuff' to use.
Margaret

Xochitl Barney dijo...

Well thank you very much, Master !

And you are right I had thought before, I should keep all the material, activities, and stuff for future references. I hope to collect all kinds of books, materials, "game like activities", and 'stuff', so teaching and learning becomes more enjoyable.

Linda Arce Gomez dijo...

In my case I prefer teaching with adolescents, I don´t thing I have the patience required with children. I want to try someday (when I have time) to work with adults, which is challeging too, because adults question everything and they want resasons for everything,they are more into rules and grammar, nonlike children or teenagers who are more open minded.

Leticia dijo...

As you already know teaching is also new to me, so I can’t really say what age level I prefer. I would think that age makes no difference, since you still have to put together a lesson using your skills and creativity, and bear in mind that you need to meet course guidelines.
Working with students is very rewarding and each day is different.

BTW, you did a very nice job summing up the important details.

Xochitl Barney dijo...

Well thank you very much, teacher and Leti for your support !